Lockouts can be highly inconvenient and frustrating, whether you find yourself locked out of your vehicle or your own home. In this blog, we will provide you with valuable tips and tricks to stay prepared for unexpected lockouts. We’ll cover both auto and home lockout situations, offering practical advice to help you handle these scenarios with ease and minimize stress. By implementing these preventive measures and knowing how to respond when a lockout occurs, you can save time, money, and the hassle of being locked out.
A car lockout is a common occurrence that can happen to anyone at inconvenient times. When facing a car lockout situation, it’s essential to approach it calmly and consider the most optimal solutions. With the right knowledge, you can mitigate the risks and be prepared. Here are some essential tips and tricks:
Spare Key Solutions
- Leave a spare key with a trusted friend or family member: Having someone you trust hold a spare key can be a lifesaver in case of a lockout.
- Utilize a magnetic key holder: Securely attach a spare key to the underside of your vehicle using a magnetic key holder for easy access.
Key Safety Measures
- Duplicate your keys: Ensure you have spare keys for your vehicle and keep them in a safe place.
- Keychain alternatives: Avoid heavy or bulky keychains that can easily get lost. Use a lightweight keychain or opt for a key fob.
Emergency Locksmith Contacts
- Save a reliable locksmith’s contact information: Research and save the contact details of a reputable emergency locksmith service in your area.
- 24/7 locksmith services: Find locksmiths that offer round-the-clock services, ensuring assistance is available whenever you need it.
- Check locks and keys regularly: Regularly inspect your vehicle’s locks and keys for any signs of wear or damage. Address issues promptly to avoid potential lockouts.
Not much of a planner? Here are some key points to remember:
- Contacting an auto locksmith is highly recommended when dealing with a car lockout. Auto locksmiths possess the necessary skills, expertise, and tools to unlock various types of car doors without causing damage. Keep in mind when you’re looking for a professional locksmith during that period of stress, it can be difficult to keep a clear head. Nonetheless, it is very important to be on the lookout for potential scams or dangers that may make the situation even worse. For more information, reference our previous blog in which we share five telltale signs you are not dealing with a professional locksmith.
- Pop A Lock is a renowned service provider known for its reliability and quick response to car lockout situations. Their nationwide network of auto locksmiths ensures that help is readily available when needed. Years ago Pop-A-Lock developed its Emergency Door Unlocking Program. This program was started in response to the growing number of infants and small children that are injured or killed each year by being locked inside a motor vehicle. In the event that a child has been locked inside a vehicle, simply call Pop-A-Lock and notify the dispatcher of the emergency. Our nearest technician will be immediately dispatched to the location to provide car door unlocking services free of charge! This is one of the ways Pop-A-Lock contributes to the communities we proudly serve.
We’ve all experienced the frustration of being locked out of our homes due to a momentary lapse of attention. However, by implementing a few simple measures, you can significantly reduce the risk of getting locked out. As professional locksmiths with extensive experience in house lockouts, we understand the inconvenience they cause. Below we share valuable tips to help you avoid future lockouts and maintain the security of your home:
Upgrade to a Keyless Doorknob
One of the most effective preventive measures is to replace your traditional doorknob with a keyless version. By doing so, the only way to lock the door is by using a key to secure the deadbolt from the outside. This eliminates the possibility of accidentally locking yourself out when leaving in a hurry. Remember, the primary security component is the deadbolt, so adding a second deadbolt alongside the keyless doorknob enhances both security and convenience.
Opt for a Hidden Lock Box Instead of Hiding a Key
Many individuals hide spare keys outside their homes as a precautionary measure. However, burglars are well aware of common hiding spots. Instead, consider using a lock box hidden in a discreet location. Share the combination with trusted family members residing in the house, ensuring a secure backup key is readily available without compromising home security.
Entrust a Neighbor or Family Member
If you have trustworthy neighbors or nearby family members, entrusting them with a spare key is an excellent solution. In addition to providing an alternative access point during lockouts, they can offer assistance with emergencies such as floods or gas leaks when you’re away. It’s crucial to establish a strong level of trust and communicate effectively with your neighbor or family member to ensure a reliable support system.
Separate House and Car Keys
Separating your house and car keys can help avoid lockouts in both scenarios. Keep a spare house key in your car and a spare car key inside your home. This way, as long as you have one set of keys, you’ll always have access to the other. However, exercise caution when using this method. Ensure the spare key in your car is well-hidden to prevent potential access to your home in the event of a vehicle break-in.
Embrace Smart Lock Technology
Consider investing in smart locks for enhanced convenience and security. Smart locks offer various features such as keypad combinations, fingerprint recognition, and even eye-scanning capabilities. By eliminating the need for a physical key, smart locks minimize the risk of lockouts. At The Security Professionals, we highly recommend Level Locks as a top-tier option for enhancing the security of your property. These elegant electronic deadbolt locks provide convenience, style, and guaranteed safety. With these advanced locks, you can access your home or property with a simple tap of a card or by entering a code. To learn more about why Level Locks stand out, refer to this previous blog post.
Lockouts are unforeseen events that can cause frustration and inconvenience. However, by taking proactive measures and following the tips and tricks outlined in this blog, you can minimize the chances of lockouts and be prepared to handle them effectively when they do occur. Whether it’s implementing spare key solutions, maintaining your locks, or having access to professional locksmith services, staying prepared for unexpected lockouts will save you time, stress, and potential expenses.
Remember, prevention is key, and being equipped with the right knowledge and resources will empower you to handle lockouts swiftly and efficiently. Stay prepared and ensure you have the necessary contingency plans in place to keep your automotive and home security intact!